BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Monday 7 November 2011

London Design Festival: Michael Anastassiades on Brompton Road

After a hectic October, I'm trying to catch up with some posts on the many inspirational things I saw at the London Design Festival. First up is the pop-up show of Michael Anastassiades work. I first met Michael in 2006 when I wrote about his wonderful Waterloo home for Elle Decoration. I called the piece 'the new simplicity' because I felt that the house, with it's neutral plaster-inspired palette, natural materials and occasional precious objects in brass and marble was going to set the the tone for future design trends. And he was pretty much on the money, as far as I'm concerned. 
I was similarly inspired by the latest show. There were just two elements to this show: the setting and the work - with no additional frippery. The setting was a defunct early-Victorian jewellers in the Brompton Design District - lots of shiny glass and mirror yet still austere in ebony gloss-painted wood and neat white plaster. Then add to this Michael's work in glass, brass and marble etc - vessels, lighting and more sculptural pieces, displayed using multiples to great dramatic effect. The two worked so well together. 


Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs