BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Sunday 30 January 2011

A moodboard for today: colours, textures, materials and motifs for the 2011 home

Picture copyright of Kate Jacobs

I had to make this moodboard on Thursday night as a prop for a shoot on Friday. It was good because I only had about fifteen minutes to sift through my folder of inspirational images and put it together - which stopped me agonizing and never actually completing it. I particularly love the 'at home with a gimp shot' - that gimp has one beautiful pad! I didn't plan it this way but it seems to contain a lot of interiors trends that are reaching their critical mass.  Here's a breakdown:

Colours: caramel, straw, honey, greige, grey, leafy natural greens


Textures and materials: hair, rope, hessian, woven grass (wallpaper), raw and slubby silks, exposed brick, muted metals (think old coins)


Motifs and patterns: plaited hair, sunflowers, the old master still life painting (and the way these celebrate the beauty to be found in humble, everyday things).