BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Thursday, 2 June 2011

The New Country style continued...

I’m building up a collection of images that link on my last blog about a new country style, and my current love of leafy, nature-inspired greens. They all look quite trad, but I'd mix this look with a spot of Modernism, preferably the Scandinavian variety - or vintage Ercol daybeds and benches. They’re unified by a sense of austerity, often contrasted with the abundance of nature (more rampant botanical prints), also raw materials, especially rough hewn wood. All these shots fall into a category of room I have always loved: places to step into and escape the heat on a hot summer day.

Picture courtesy of Colefax & Fowler

I'm drawn to the absolute austerity of the above shot (and the one below for that matter), and the mix of different greens. I get a real buzz out of seeing lots of green shades together at the moment.  


Picture courtesy of Colefax & Fowler



Picture courtesy of Sanderson


 I love the raw wood, tarnished silver and lavish botanical wallpaper in the image above. It reminds me of an old Spanish still life painting.


Picture courtesy of Manuel Canovas


I like the old unfinished wood in the above image. It builds up a patina that it's hard to replicate with a new piece and so in a way it's about rejecting 'new new new' disposable goods and choosing things with proven longevity.


Picture courtesy of Sanderson
This shot includes a few of my favourite things: green things, marble, stone, jam jars and two beautiful plants, 'Mind Your Own Business' and a Maidenhair Fern.