BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Friday 23 September 2011

London Design Festival: The Timber Wave at the V&A


Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

I had a great time at the V&A on Wednesday as part of the London Design Festival. From the images I'd seen, I didn't really expect to like the Timber Wave (above) outside the V&A's grand entrance but I was very taken with it when I actually saw it. I loved the contrast of the warm wood (American red oak) against the mellow grey stone facade. It was interesting to know that it's creators, AL_A (Amanda Levete's post-Future Systems practice) used techniques more typically used in furniture making but on a grand scale. The piece has a great kinetic quality and seems to draw you in like a whirlpool. 


Picture copyright Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright Kate Jacobs