BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Thursday 15 September 2011

My Still Life Obsession, Part III: Niki Jones

All pictures courtesy of Niki Jones

I've talked before about how much I love the still life genre of painting etc (see this previous blog), and I've been inspired to create my own. Still lifes, whether artworks or tableaux created in the home are always a source of fascination to me. So it was with some delight that I picked up Niki Jones latest catalogue. Last week I mentioned my highlights in terms of the products she's currently offering but today I wanted to flag up the wonderful styling and photography. With the use of dramatic daylight, the rough crumpled cloths, the vessels with food and flowers, it's all redolent of still life painting of the 17th and 18th centuries.
I suppose the reason why I like these still life pictures there's a sense of capturing a snapshot of real life. And if real  life doesn't look like this then why not? Follow the beautiful and useful maxim (try and do both in one wherever possible - banishing plastics from the home is a good start) and life can be filled with little accidental tableaux along these lines - a source of joy on a daily basis... if you are a true Interiors Nut.


Niki Jones