BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Monday 27 August 2012

Colours: Neutrals with Pastels. Some inspiring combinations spotted today...

Picture copyright of Kate Jacobs

Picture copyright of Kate Jacobs


I love boot fairs and have just been to one that has always served me well in the past. But not today. I'm not really interested in many things made after about 1985, with my (current) golden eras being the 1930s, 1940s and 1970s. Inevitably, less and less of this stuff is materialising at boot fairs. Today's fair was full of 1990s rubbish. It got me wondering if that's what my young daughters will be delightedly bringing home one day but, for me, it was singularly lacking in inspiration. I did see a couple of colour combinations that got me going. This tin of buttons on a stall full of boxes of colour-coded buttons (itself a treat!). Creamy, amber-y neutrals mixed with intense pastel shades; pea green, sky blue, butter yellow, salmon pink. Then this deflated dinghy! Dark, bluish-grey with another butter yellow and 'Germolene' pink.

In both cases, the neutrals - whether cool or warm in tone - are nice foils for the cheerful creamy pastels.